Thursday, August 1, 2013

I've retired !!
Now what ??

Approaching the International Dateline (is it Tuesday of Wednesday?) over the Bering Straits in Russian airspace. We're just northwest of Anchorage, Alaska at 67 degrees north latitude flying the Great Circle Route.

After flying my final flight I retired from a rewarding, 38-year airline career. That last flight was a 13 hour jaunt from Nagoya, Japan to Detroit, Michigan in a Boeing 747-400. It was a grand lifestyle that afforded my family and me a great life, but on 1 October 2012 it was time to close up my flightbag, stow it and walk away. But after 40 years of flying airplanes, 38 of which drew an airline paycheck, just exactly what was I going to do with myself?


Influenced by our friends, Dave and Sue Clark, Linda and I resumed our fascination with early American antiques. We'd enjoyed this activity for many years, but when our kids entered college and later graduate school, our priorities changed and funds redirected. Now graduated with all sorts of degrees, it was time to hit the road and reacquaint ourselves with early American furniture. We're in Concord, MA with the Clarks visiting the first of many antique shops. Just a few months later we returned to Concord to attend the Annual Concord Antique Show.


While in Concord, we carved out a few minutes to visit the Minute Man National Park and cross the Old North Bridge that witnessed the first battle of our Revolutionary War on 19 April 1775. The first skirmish took place a few hours earlier, just south of here in Lexington where eight Americans died and ten were wounded. On the far side of the bridge is Daniel Chester French's famous "Minute Man" Statue, dedicated in 1875. If this place doesn't pique your interest in antiques and early American history, well... then you'll probably never be interested.


Before heading out of town we made a quick stop at the Colonial Inn for lunch. If you enjoy antiques in a perfect setting this is a worthwhile detour. Now on the National Register of Historic Places, parts of the building date to 1716 and was utilized to store arms and provisions in 1775. 

In fact, that was why 700 British Regulars were dispatched from Boston. They were on a search and destroy mission of "rebel" supplies as well as hunting down dissidents John Hancock and Samuel Adams. They limped back to Boston later that evening empty handed, with nearly 50% casualties as militiamen effectively sniped at them from behind stone fences, trees and barns.

Skinner preview room at Marlborough, Ma

A month of so later we visited the Skinner Auction facilities in Marlborough, MA to attend a "Discovery" Auction. as it turned out, this was just the first of several trips here after we made the decision to venture into the antique business. Bidding against seasoned and knowledgeable competitors was interesting, but fun as well. It made me wonder though; why was I still bidding after the pros had dropped out? I no doubt have much to learn.


This is how my truck appeared after my third auction experience as I'd packed up and returned to New Hampshire. I'd not created our LLC yet so was resigned to pay Mass sales tax.  That killed me. But I'm now armed with New Hampshire LLC paperwork and business number and will save this expense in the future. Which is good because I can pass those savings along to customers.


Linda and I teamed with the Clarks once again and journeyed south to Fitzwilliam, NH to attend another antique show. Just a week or so ago we traveled north to New London, NH, near beautiful Lake and Mount Sunapee. Both of these annual events had a wonderful variety of antiques, knowledgeable and friendly dealers, situated in stunningly beautiful parts of the Granite State. And for those of you from away, you don't need a business to avoid paying a sales tax because NH doesn't have one.


As I'd mentioned, Linda and I had made the decision to get into business. We'd been purchasing antiques for our homes over the last 30 years and were armed with a "little" knowledge. This is the first of two trips that we made from our home in Amherst, Village to the New Hampshire Antique COOP in Milford, NH, just four miles away. This commute to work is far easier then my 660 mile commute to Detroit when I was still flying. My new uniform is far more comfortable too, but I do miss airline coffee though!


NEW HAMPSHIRE ANTIQUE COOP is celebrating its 30th anniversary. Founded in 1983 by Sam & Eileen Hackler, they were joined several years ago by their son Jason and Daughter-In-Law Rebecca where the family operates one the finest group shops in New England. Spacious, clean, accessible and run like a business, they enjoy a sterling reputation with dealers and collectors alike.

They're located at 323 Elm Street in Milford, NH. Click here for MapQuest to find us easily. Want to learn more about NHAC? Click here and here

Near the back of the store they have a booth that sells ANTIQUE MAGAZINES, dating to the early 1930's and hundreds of SOTHEBYS and CHRISTIES auction catalogs. These are great reference material and make for wonderful reading. I particularly enjoy the advertisements from the 1930's or 1940's editions that describe an 18th century highboy for $250.  

Jason told me a funny story once. He'd mentioned that most eight year olds went to bed with a flashlight to read a comic book under their covers. But not him. He was armed with his flashlight but poured over Christie's auction catalogs instead. And it shows in his depth of knowledge.


We've just set up in this 10' X 12' room and really do hope that you'll visit.


After all, we're in business to sell.


We're focusing on early American furniture, but do you see my RAND PECK ANTIQUES sign in the background? The sign business is another sideline. If you need a sign that will capture customers attention, looks old without that "shabby chic" look, give me a call. I'm busy, but can always find time to design and build another.



Thanks very much for following along as I write about our New England antiquing adventures. 

1 comment:

  1. Are you paying more than $5 per pack of cigs? I buy high quality cigs over at Duty Free Depot and I save over 60%.

    ReplyDelete