Thursday, September 12, 2013

After reading our latest post
please read
our ANNOUNCEMENTS down below.

September Withington Auction
Hillsborough, New Hampshire


Friday morning, September 6, dawned bright but very cool at 42F here in Amherst, NH as I pulled out of my driveway and turned north towards Hillsborough, NH to attend my first Withington Auction. The auction company, is in its 57th year of business, started by Dick Withington who was known as the "Bob Hope of the auction block." Dick died in 2008 at the age of 90 but his company lives on, still strongly influenced by its founder as his name was mentioned often during today's event by the auctioneer, runners and members of the audience. Apparently he was quite a guy and wished that I'd had the opportunity to have known him.


Rolling hills, stonewalls, ancient sugar maples and a white tent beneath a blue sky is the perfect setting for a New England country auction.

This was an on site auction with tents and catering in Hillsborough and a very large and enthusiastic crowd. I recognized many dealers from other auctions and shows that I've attended this summer. Today's preview ran from 8 to 10 a.m. with more than 500 lots going under the hammer. Furniture, rugs, paintings, porcelain, glass, clocks and other items were available.

Most everyone in attendance knew one another, I was one of the few "outsiders," but they all made me feel right at home.

Promptly at 10:00 a.m. Martha invited everyone to take their seats, explained the ground rules, chided many, whom she obviously knew in the audience and got down to business. The tent was full but this mornings clear skies and light wind created a very cool, almost       cold environment. From time to time many would abandon their chair and stand in the sun by the catering tent and enjoy hot coffee. Of course I was wearing shorts, but retreated to my truck where I store my emergency down parka and used to to pad and heat my cold, metal seat bottom.

The two round top candlestands are mine, the single drawer stand is Linnea's and the ladder back side chair is Bill's. 

I met Linnea Steeves and Bill Wallace soon into the bidding. Linnea lives in town, once worked for Dick Withington and owns an antique shop just down the street from this location. Bill owns a summer home in nearby Stoddard, NH but lives on Beacon Hill in Boston. Both are avid, knowledgeable collectors who offered much to further my education in our new endeavor. 

Linnea had bid on and won a set of 3 chairs with a fourth thrown in. The fourth happened to be the mate to a single chair that I'd purchased some time earlier. She turned to me and asked, "would you like that chair for $15?" Her price was more than fair and I now had a matched set. I was thrilled. A little later I won a lot of three area rugs but really only had plans for two of them. I offered the third to Linnea for $5 who was happy to have it. 

Interestingly, merchandise and capital were exchanging hands within the auction amongst the audience as Martha plied her craft from the podium. This is certainly an excellent example of capitalism or free-enterprise at work. Now I see how this game is played!


Packed into my cab are rugs, footstools and fireplace equipment, but the reason for this photo is to proudly display the new Garmin GPS on my dashboard. I'm not a Luddite!


Packed up and ready to use my new GPS to find my way home. The candlestands are folded and lying on the bed floor beneath the chairs. Although space isn't a problem today, I've learned to pack effeciently and how to keep items from moving and chafing. 


Just a mile or so south of the auction I stopped to take pictures of the Franklin Pierce homestead. Our 14th president was born here in 1804, served NH in both the House of Representatives and in the Senate as well as a commissioned officer in the Mexican-American War. (1846-1848) He was the first president born in the 19th century and the youngest to have served in this office until that time. He married Jane Means Appleton in 1834 in Amherst, NH, a very short walk from our home. We know the present owners of the "Means Mansion" and have stood in the room in which they married. They suffered a great tragedy though in 1853 en route to Washington for his inauguration, when the train in which they traveled crashed killing their 11 year-old son Benjamin. Pierce finished his term in 1857, returned to New Hampshire and died in 1869.


While leaving the Pierce homestead I noticed this woman, whom I'd seen at the auction, walking home with a fairly large burden and offered to give her a lift. She's Carole Hoffman, a local artist and a member of the Hillsborough Area Artisans. She invited me into her studio that was filled with her award winning artwork. 

WINDSOR COTTAGE ANTIQUES

But back on the road I had one more stop to make before heading south. This is Linnea's antique shop just a short walk south of the Pierce homestead at 289 Second New Hampshire Turnpike. She was still at the auction but I had a great time touring her shop with Pauline who was manning the store. She has a wonderful collection of furniture, rugs, glass and textiles that are beautifully displayed and attracts a large clientele. In fact, she purchased this shop several years ago from Dick Withington. Thanks very much to Linnea for her help today and I hope to run into her again on future buying trips.


The chair on the left is the piece that I purchased and the chair on the right is the one Linnea offered me. They're maple with carved tops and embroidered seats that I suspect were made in 1920 or so. Not real old, but very strong and attractive. I also purchased the two embroidered footstools at this auction. 


These are the other two footstools that I acquired.


A little better view of the four footstools. They're constructed of hardwood and the embroidery is in excellent condition.


Above and below: The two candle stands that I acquired. One is mahogany and the other maple. I also purchased the brass pot that sits between the two candle stands.


They're in excellent condition, strong and level. The mahogany version has cabriole legs with ball and claw feet and a rimmed top. The maple has spider legs and a plain foot. 


The undersides are in wonderful shape and the cleats, although I think replaced on the maple, are in excellent condition too.


A closer look at the original locks and receivers



This gives a better perspective of the size of the brass pot as it hangs from a crane.


I also purchased two brass, fireplace fenders. This is the smaller of the two after I attacked it with a can of Brasso. 


And why this picture you may be wondering. I'm in my workshop area cleaning the rug I purchased in Vermont while attending the Smith Auction a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to demonstrate that yes, males can multitask. I'm vacuuming the rug and babysitting my 11 month old grandson. I think that he looks pretty happy!

These items will eventually find their way into our space at the NH Antique CO-OP in Milford, NH but if you're interested in any of them presently, you can email me at: 

randpeckantiques@gmail.com

- Important Announcements -

 My mother, wife and niece at Amherst's Antiques on the Green 2012


If you find yourself near Amherst, NH on 14 September 2013, please stop in and visit us at the Historical Society's" 18th annual, Antiques on the Green. The Amherst Common is one of the most beautiful in New England, surrounded by spectacular and historic  architecture. The event will run from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. rain or shine and will be supported by more than 30 New England antique dealers. Society members will be admitted gratis and others will be charged only $5 to browse through antiques, visit with friends and enjoy the day on the common. Or, you can join the Amherst Historical Society for a mere $15 per adult (there are other options too) enjoy all it has to offer and learn a little about your town. Do you know how many Amherst residents participated in the Battle of Bunker Hill or at the Battle of Lexington and Concord?


There's always a lot going on in Amherst. The Antique Show, Book Sale and the Farmers Market every Thursday 3 to 6 pm.


This is the Amherst Village Green where the Antique Show will be held on Saturday, 14 September. Jason Hackler from the New Hampshire Antique CO-OP will be on hand to appraise your antique. The Amherst weather forecast for Saturday predicts clear skies, abundant sun with temperatures in the low 70's. Nearly perfect!  


And this is the Congregational Church adjacent to the village green where the library will hold its annual book sale.

New Hampshire Antique CO-OP

Appreciators of antiques and fine art, mark Saturday and Sunday, September 28 and 29 on your calendar and plan to attend the 30th Anniversary Open House celebration of the New Hampshire Antique CO-OP, on 323 Elm Street in Milford, NH. With more than 200 dealers on site and 20,000 square feet of exhibitions, your choices are unlimited.

Noted Cape Cod artist William Davis will hold a marine painting lecture upstairs in the gallery and a Windsor Chair making demonstration by NH Master craftsman Bill Morse will highlight the event. Mr. Morse will speak on Saturday the 28th at 1 pm and Mr. Davis on Sunday the 29th at 1 pm. Each lecture will be followed by a wine and cheese reception.

The Hackler family has run the CO-OP for thirty years now and have distinguished themselves as a premier antique and art facility with friendly, outstanding service. If you have any questions you can click them on above or call them at 673-8499.


Thanks to the AMHERST CITIZEN for this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment