Monday, November 18, 2013

Sebastian


So who is this little boy that has us doing headstands when we visit our daughter and son-in-law in Marblehead? I'm a retired airline captain and have flown large jets throughout the world, spanning oceans and continents with as many as 400 passengers at a time. But when I'm in Sebastian's company I'm a driveling fool, making strange faces and even stranger noises. Such is the role of a grandfather. But admitting that I'm old softie isn't the purpose of this post.

Market Square and the Old Town House, built in 1727.

Linda and I were visiting in Marblehead, which has become a regular activity lately and Sebastian needed a bit of a diversion. No longer happy watching his parents and grandparents, hang shades, paint fences or mow lawns... he wanted out! I think his parents wanted him out too, so I grabbed the stroller by the horns and out we went.

                                                     Marblehead Harbor, late October.

If you're looking for a wonderful place to get out and walk, particularly if you love New England, the ocean and beautifully restored architecture, this is the right place. And doing this with your one year old grandson only enhances the opportunity. We'd spent considerable time at the town wharf observing working boats off loading their catch and met many who stopped to chat with him. He's a real gadfly!

But what I noticed from the wharf, while Seb was busy entertaining others, was that the front door to Sacks Antiques was open. This was the first time that I'd noticed this during many such strolls.

Stan Sacks from Marblehead

I came dangerously  close to never meeting Stan Sacks and that would have been regrettable. He's only open one day per week at his little shop near the corner of State and Front Streets. Built in 1727, the diminutive clapboarded building has served many owners over the 18th, 19th 20th and now 21st centuries. His Grandfather Hyman Sacks, an antique restorer on Charles Street in Boston, found his way here in 1899 to open his shop and sell as well as restore prized antiques.

Stan told me that this is the oldest, continuously operating antique shop in Massachusetts. His father, Abraham, a WWI veteran succeeded his father Hyman in 1912 and continued to build the business. With a valued reputation, Abraham, or Jim as locals called him, imported English antiques into the country and participated in furnishing The White House in Washington DC and the Lee Mansion, now a prominent museum in town. He was consulted as well and provided antiques for several homes in Colonial Williamsburg and for Hollywood movies, most notably, The Philadelphia Story produced in 1940 starring Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart. Apparently, seeking authenticity in the background was important to Director George Cukor.

Interior of Sacks Antiques


Stan gave me the grand tour, pointing out specific pieces native to Marblehead. He's a gregarious man, easy with a smile and a story; an excellent businessman I'm sure. But at 88 with no one in the family interested in continuing this fabled business, he plans to shut it down after the 43rd annual, Marblehead Christmas Walk that will be from December 5 - 8, 2013.

Just one of the many beautiful homes you'll encounter in "Old Town."

When Stan asked me what I did, (I knew that he'd get around to that) I was almost embarrassed to say that I was an antique dealer. After all, my experience, when compared to his is nearly negligible. But he chastised me when I mentioned that and advised that even he was still learning 88 years later and for me not to forget that.

Now you understand why it would have been regrettable if I'd missed the opportunity to meet Stan Sacks of Marblehead.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you at the Marblehead Christmas Walk.

Rand

1 comment:

  1. Are you looking to make money from your websites via popup advertisments?
    If so, have you tried using Clickadu?

    ReplyDelete