Saturday, March 29, 2014

Everyone needs a friend in business. We've made many... here's one of them.

Al Benting

When Linda and I decided to jump in with both feet and open RAND PECK ANTIQUES, we drove north to Concord, NH and wandered along antique alley, routes 4 & 202 to see just how this business is done. We met Jane Benting at one of the nicer shops on the route and explained that we were new dealers looking to learn the business. She advised, "you need to meet my husband Al." So off we went to Barrington, NH to meet Al Benting.


Some twenty minutes later we pulled into the driveway of this massive, beautiful, antique colonial built in 1780. What you can't see are the ell's, porches and outbuildings that further define their home and business. I wish that I could bring you inside to enjoy all of its architectural detail and years of painstaking antique collections.  


This building out back houses their antique business and is full of interesting antiques collected by this husband and wife team who have been in the business for a very long time, understand that business and have hundreds of wonderful contacts.


Al was kind enough to let me roam through his storage facility and just take it in.


Then he gave me the guided tour, pointed out many hard to find treasures and then taught me how he how he acquired them and how he plans to market them. I should have been taking notes.


Isn't this globe beautiful? With cast iron legs, glass ball feet and other navigational parts, it would enhance any private library.


Some of what I bought from Al and Jane to get our business off the ground. Would you like to contact Al and purchase inventory? Give him a call at 978.376.7515 and say hello for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment